Friday, December 5, 2008

End of the 2nd Week of Boot Camp

And it ends with not the results I'd hoped for but hey, never give up hope...never say defeat. There are people out there that need and want what MyPowerMall offers and we will find them.

Follow up was positive today...not with everyone of course but there are 3 that I believe are seriously considering and taking a second look at the presentation.

I got an email today that my NPO, Camp E-Nini Hassee, (everything in Florida has the weirdest names), will be the featured NPO for the week of Dec 15 - 21 so I'm excited about that. I'll be going over there personally on Tuesday to gear them up and get some more notes on them as I want to send the local paper a press release about it so those who also help to support it can plan on shopping on their site also. I'll take some footage of the Camp while I'm there too and share it with all of you, but let me tell you a bit about it...

The camp was founded by Mr & Mrs Eckerd (Eckerd Drugstores) some 40 years ago. It encompasses 840 wooded acres in Citrus County Florida and is at any time, the home for an average of 70 ‘troubled girls’ from all over the state.

Mr Eckerd’s philosophy was that it didn’t matter if they were a kid from the streets of Miami or an abused child in a trailer in some small town, they were all just kids and deserved the chance to know life could and can be better. ((Kind of fits our philosophy too.))

Girls reside in actual camp buildings of 10 girls per unit and a single house counselor who resides full time with them. They receive credits for being schooled on the premises and the average stay is 1 ½ yrs. Their lives are being structured by actual activity versus lectures. The girls are being raised in the care of the staff and then handed back into society with better standards, expectations and dreams for a future that’s brighter than when they arrived. JoLynn Smith has been the director of the camp for 24 years and every girl there is her child.

It's such a neat NPO and they don't get very much exposure and assistance so I'm so glad to be able to help them. Even though there's a trust fund for the operation of the Camp, they have to rely on fundraisers for things like medical/dental, clothing and personal needs for the girls as their families are often not able or willing to aid in their support.

Wow, next week's going to be very busy! Monday I'll be at a Trade Show all day and talking to a lot of local ladies so I can't wait to let you know how that turns out. Tuesday at the Camp and I still still need to get out Christmas cards and decorate the house. Oh yeah, and do shopping for Christmas with my AmEx gift cards. Friday the 19th my son flies in from Philly for 10 day, so I'll have 2 of my sons and one set of grandchildren here for Christmas this year at least...getting all three together usually only happens like every 5 years...as they get older and busier in their lives we learn to be thankful for any time we get to spend with them:(

That's it for tonight fellow campers and visitors...if I don't add anything over the weekend, have a blessed one.

Linda

1 comment:

Wanda L said...

Hey Linda, Your NPO sounds like a worthy place for your help! Sounds like you are staying plenty busy. Just wanted to wish you a GREAT and BLESSED week,as we begin the third week of boot camp:)

Wanda